Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Over 60

I have thus far tracked down 30 34 amicus curiae briefs filed in support of respondents on the minimum coverage provision issue. By my count, 31 amicus briefs were filed on the issue in support of the United States, and one was filed in support of neither party. So my total now stands at 62 66 amicus briefs on this issue alone . . . and I know there are still several more out there that I have yet to find. If we combine all the amicus filed on the four issues (arguably a fair move, given that only one judgment below is under review), I think this case will set the record for most amicus filings at the Court. All told, we are likely to see in the neighborhood of 110 amicus briefs. (Hard to argue that that is not a substantial effect on interstate commerce.)